Vacation Rental Tour
BlackSands at Shelter Cove is located 1/2 mile from the famous Black Sands beach on the Lost Coast. This is a great house for multiple families to enjoy their time in Shelter Cove. The house is a pet-friendly house with a unique backyard for them to run around.
Here are the top 10 reasons families will LOVE BlackSands
1. You will love to explore the four levels of the house. There is plenty of space to spread out, and the great room is perfect for gathering. The island can seat seven people + 5 dining table + 8 person table. The Great Room has power reclining couches seating 6. The layout of the house is perfect for multiple families.
2. You will LOVE the seven-person hot tub enjoying the peaceful views of the woods.
3. You will LOVE the bunk room. Whether playing games, watching a movie, or drawing on the chalkboard. It's great to take all the kids and put them in one room.
4. You will love the Movie theatre /game room. Why?? 65-inch tv, 130-inch 3D movie screen for movie night, dartboard, ping pong, movies, games, and the chalkboard. This room has an Immersive surround sound for music and movies
5. You will love hiking to Black Sand beach
6. Your kids will love to play in the back yard. The artificial turf looks like grass but not. It is soft and clean, so your kiddos don't get all dirty.
7. You will love the art room to paint and draw or create an abalone/ shell wall art.
8. You will enjoy going to the tide pools and beaches. Collecting abalone shells, which you can see displayed all over the house, is a favorite activity for our children. You can make all sorts of craft projects with the shells.
9. You will love watching movies in the great room with an extensive 75” TV and impressive seven-speaker in-wall surround sound system.
10. You will enjoy hiking the Lost Coast trail from Black Sands beach or walking through the redwood forest.
More info about the house:
The house faces the south, so it gets direct sunlight for most of the day. The house is newly constructed and finished in Jan of 2020. The architectural style is unique, in that it is built almost entirely of concrete with 12-inch walls and stamped concrete radiant heated floors. The house has four levels and 3350ft2. We are about 300 feet above sea level, and 1/2 mile from the water, which is just far enough from the water to have a safe place for kids to play and you get better weather (more sun, less wind, and fog), but you can still hear the sounds of the waves below. You are surrounded by a beautiful view of fir trees and lush green vegetation from the wetland that extends in the back of the property.
As you pull up to the house, you will see the entrance and a patio to the right. Some stairs take you to the main level and front door. You can also enter the house on the 4th level, which is a Movie theatre/game room. Here is a favorite spot to hang out and enjoy a game of ping pong or throw darts. Also, a floor to ceiling chalkboard is super fun for the kids. The movie theatre screen is 130 inches 3D /HD, and you have fantastic immersive surround sound. We have an assortment of 3D and regular blue rays movies. The system is also connected to DirectTV.
There is a second 65 inch TV so that you can watch two games at the same time!
You can bring your gaming system and easily connect to either TV with extra HDMI cables.
This room can also serve as a 5th bedroom and has a queen futon, and we have two queen air mattresses. This room can sleep 4-6. If used as a bedroom, you can use the front door at the primary level to enter the house.
Let’s continue the tour-
You enter the central part of the house and descend several stairs to the 3rd level. The house has an open concept, so you are looking down into the great room and see the five massive windows that provide views of the forest and wetland. Overlooking the great room is the desk that is custom made from a slab of Walnut. You will have access to the 27inch mac for any work that you need to do during your stay. You will see many accents, railings, and shelves that are custom made from local hardwoods. Also, you will see the 25-foot walls in the great room, clad with shiplap. The room has an open, light, and grand feel to it.
Going past the desk leads you into the Master Bedroom. Here there are windows with shutters that open to the great room below. Also, a balcony off the master bedroom overlooks the backyard 20 feet below. You can listen to the waves from Black Sands Beach and watch the stars that are fantastically bright on the Lost Coast. The room has a king-size bed and a couch that opens into a queen bed. There is a 55 inch TV, and the room sleeps 4 comfortably. The bathroom ensuite in the master is very lovely with a soaker tub, his and her sinks and a large walk-in shower with a multi soaker shower.
The stairs lead down to the main level of the house (level 2). Here you will see the Great Room that features power reclining couches and a 75 inch 4k TV with seven-speaker surround sound. We love to watch movies or listen to music. The sound system is connected to Alexa for voice commands, "Hey Alexa Play Johny Cash."
The Kitchen extends the great room and has a massive island that is a favorite spot to watch the chefs cook the fresh catch of the day. The kitchen has all the amenities to cook a great meal. Also the great room as 2 kitchen tables, seating 7-8 at the main and six at the smaller. The total sitting spots, including the coach and island, is over 20. The dining area has a slider that leads to a covered balcony where you will find the BBQ and views of the forest. A spiral staircase just off the side patio will lead you to the back yard and 1st level.
Back through the great room leads you past the front door and entryway to the guest room and second bathroom. The bathroom is clad with shiplap and has a bathtub and shower. The guest room has a queen bed with a view of the forest. There is a 55 inch TV. The room has a reading nook that can also serve as a twin bed and can sleep 3.
Just to the right of the guest rooms is the linen closet, and adjacent to this is a walk-in pantry. We have a refrigerator here, where we keep our food. The Kitchen has a pantry and pantry that will be empty for guests.
From the main level, you go down to the first floor. There is a small art room where you can get your creative juices flowing. You can paint rocks, a picture, or make a shell board. Right next to the art room is the bunk room. A large barn door separates this bedroom and is an excellent spot for the kids or a family. The room has 2 bunk beds (full on the bottom and twin of the top). There is an entertainment system to watch TV or play movies on a 55 inch TV. The room has a super comfy carpet and a chalkboard on the wall. The sliding door leads you to the backyard witch we will go over in a few. This room sleeps 6.
The room next to the bunk room is the 4th bedroom and has a queen bed and another reading nook that can serve as a twin bed. This room also has a 55-inch tv. The sliding door provides excellent views of the backyard and forest.
The bathroom on the first level has a shower with multi-panel massage jets. The room adjacent to this is the boiler room. Here is the system that heats the house. The heating system wouldn't usually be something to mention in a rental, but this system is pretty cool. There is over a mile of pex tubing that runs under the stamped concrete floors. There are four zones in the house, each controlled with a Nest thermostat. The feeling of warm floors under your feet is lovely after coming back from a day at the beach. You can control the temperature of the house from the nest app or Alexa. We can remotely turn on the heat to your desired temperature before your arrival.
The backyard has a covered stamped concrete patio with a hot tub to relax after a day at the tide pools. Also, a 600 FT2 turf lawn is a great place to enjoy a game of corn hole and is perfect for kids to play around on, without getting dirty. You don’t have the worries of being too close to the water if you have little kids. The grass is enclosed by a fence and is about 4 feet above the wetland.
Here are some top things to do in Shelter Cove
1. Visit the redwoods. If you are driving from the Bay Area, you can make a stop in Leggett, which has the drive-through tree. Just past Garberville is the Avenue of the Giants. There is also a small grove just past Redway on the way to Shelter Cove. This would be the closest grove to the house, which is about 20 miles; 35-40 min.
2. Black Sand Beach- a great place to walk and watch the sunset. Not a swimming beach.
3. Shelter Cove Beach- you can drive on this beach at low tide. A recommendation is to check the tides each day and plan accordingly. There are two low tides each day, with one being smaller than the other. We time our beach arrival or tide pools for low tide. This is an excellent beach for swimming, paddleboard, and kayaking. We have a paddleboard and kayak that you can use. The Kayak should only be used north of no- pass, in the protected area of the cove. We also would require you to have paddling experience and notify us of your plans to use the Kayak so that we can provide tips. You can see info online under Seda Tango Kayak. This is a pretty stable boat at 22 feet long. The best time to go is in the morning and check the weather and swells, so you can ensure you have safe conditions.
4. Malcolm Park- this is is the area with the Lighthouse. We like to picnic here, and there is a huge picnic table that can seat 12 people. Take the stairs down to a small beach and tide pools, but check the tides so that you can time your arrival, and you are fortunate is you go on a negative tide. The tide pools extend from Molcoms and north for about 1/2 mile to Abalone point. The tide pools have amazing creatures and seals are all over the place. You can find some tremendous Abalone shells (don’t take live ones); also, you can pull mussels off the rocks and boil with white wine and butter.
5. Golf- there is a nine-hole golf course around the runway. There are a couple of sets of old golf clubs that you can use. They are under the stairs.
6. Biking- Paradise Park is Mountain bike park that is about 5 miles up Shelter Cove road. This has single track trails and a bike park with obstacles. You can also ride bikes on the street in front of the house.
7. ATV- people like riding motorcycles and ATVs throughout the town and on the beach. You will see this more on holiday weekends and not so much during a typical week. If you’ve got one, bring it, and you will enjoy it.
8. Fishing- Shelter cove is a well-known fishing spot. There is room to park a boat in front of the house. You can also charter a fishing boat from a couple of local operators. We have a fishing pole you can use with the kayak.
9. Whale Watching- Whale watching in Shelter Cove peaks in April and May during the grey whale’s migration down the Pacific Coast to warmer waters. You can charter a boat or watch the spouts from any number of picnic spots along the cove.
10. Watch the planes land- Shelter Cove has a small runway. There is no tower, and it’s not monitored. Private pilots will fly to Shelter Cove, which must be awesome.
11. Gyppos- this is our local brewery and restaurant. It overlooks the runway and golf course. They have an outside gas fire pit that is a favorite spot for a cold beer. They have live music and a helpful website that feature the activities for the week. They have corn hole and other games, and the kids can play on the grass around the golf course.
12. Fish Bowl- This is the local coffee shop, and a must-see on your trip. It’s located at the Inn of the Lost Coast. Great coffee and I love the salmon bagel with the works. The owners are super friendly and will give you tips or can connect you with charters or anything else. Autumn knows everyone and knows everything about the cove.
13.Delgato Pizza- this is also located at the hotel. You can order a take out pizza from here, or they have a couple of tables outside. They also have baked goods.
14. Sky’s- this is the newest restaurant in the cove. Great Tai food and incredible views. This is also a BYOB establishment so that you can save some $$ on your alcohol bill.
15. Mi Mochimo- this is a cool Venezuela restaurant that is across from the Hotel. Great deck and unique dishes.
Please contact us if interested in more info on our rentals
844 Spring Road, Whitethorn, California 95589, United States